Saving energy is a major money-saver, too. Below are six easy and inexpensive tips for reducing energy consumption.
1) Replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs).
2) Reconfigure rooms so that electronic items (such as TVs and DVDs plugged into a power strip) can easily be turned off when not in use.
3) Turn off your computer when not in use.
4) Decrease the temperature on your thermostat in the winter and increase it in the summer.
5) Shut windows in the winter and overnight to reduce heating load.
6) Purchase Energy-Star certified equipment.